15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law. Wondrous things. And if the wondrous things of the law are not much seen till God give an eye, then much less are the wondrous things of the Gospel. He wanted divine teaching -- the eye salve of the Spirit; and therefore he would not open the Bible without this prayer, "Open thou mine eyes." 37 Revive me in Thy ways." The Scriptures teem with marvels; the Bible is wonder land; it not only relates miracles, but it is itself a world of wonders. was the gracious inquiry of the loving Jesus to a poor longing one on earth. Psalm 119:18, KJV: "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." The light which they beg is not anything besides the word. Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Verse 18. Moreover, mainline Christian theology might seem at odds with the central theme of Psalm 119. Richard Stock, (1626). O that my ways may be steadfast. Verse 18. If it be asked, seeing David was a regenerate man, and so illumined already, how is it that he prays for the opening of his eyes? John Piper Aug 22, 2017 4.3K Shares Article. Psalm 119:18; Psalm 119:27. Psalm 119 The Glories of God’s Law. Verse 18. But if so, it may still be asked what is the meaning of this prayer, and why does the Bible itself insist so often on the indispensable need of the Spirit of God to teach? The Holy Scriptures are plain enough; but the heart of man is darkened by sin. He wanted to learn the way of salvation by a crucified Redeemer, and the glory that is to follow. The blind man's prayer: "Open thou mine eyes. The Bible, the Word of God, certainly is WONDROUS. Psalm 119:1 Aleph. Verse 18. Special eyesight needed to behold them. (1) That there are deep, hidden, secret things in the word of God, which are not perceived by the natural man; (2) That those things, when understood, are suited to excite wonder, or to fill the mind with admiring views of God; (3) That a special illumination of God is necessary that man may perceive these things; and. He wanted to know about God himself in all his majesty, purity, and grace. The film of a fallen nature, self maintained, is upon their eyes while they read: "The eyes of their understanding are darkened, being alienated from the life of God" ( Ephesians 4:18 ). The word "law" here is used to denote "all" that God had revealed to mankind; all that is contained in the volume of inspiration. "What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee?" Scripture: Psalm … 1. He enters a large room, and is astonished as he beholds the wealth of pictures on the walls, among which are portraits of many of his revered ancestors. 2. this Psalm contains many pre-exilic elements. Certainly, no one; for "No man knoweth the Son but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father save the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him." The light which we have is not without the word, but by the word. Summary-I am blessed if my walk is blameless, and that can only be achieved by walking according to God’s laws.This walk cannot be now and then, but must be with my whole heart, and with no unrighteousness mixed in. 17-20. He had known persecution (119:22-23), he had known deprivation and fear for his life (119:17), seasons when he seemed to get nothing from God's word (119:18), he had also known loneliness, rejection, and a sense of abandonment (119:19-20). When God is said to enlighten us, it is not that we should expect new revelations, but that we may see the wonders in his word, or get a clear sight of what is already revealed. Proud member The Hebrew phrase signifieth "unveil mine eyes." I REJOICE in it: Psalm 119:111 “Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the REJOICING of my heart.” I ask God to open my eyes to it, “that I may behold WONDROUS things out of [His] law” (Psalm 119:18). And as man hath not an eye to see the wonderful works of God spiritually, until it is given; so, much less hath he an eye to see the wonders of the word of God till it be given him from above; and therefore David prays, Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. 119:18; Prayer Needed for Effective Bible Study. He felt that he needed to see deeper, to have the eyes of his understanding opened. John Ker. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Related Commentaries for Psalm 119. William Kay, 1871. Wondrous things. Barton Bouchier. The first way is known as “Natural Revelation.” How blessed are those whose way is … No one has a proper appreciation of divine truth - of the beauty, the spiritual meaning, the grandeur, the sublimity of the Bible - until he is a renewed - a praying - man. The wondrous things in God's law. Those that vent their own dreams under the name of the Spirit, and divine light, they do not give you mysteria, but monstra, portentous opinions; they do not show you the wondrous things of God's law, but the prodigies of their own brain; unhappy abortives, that die as soon as they come to light. A wondrous rule of life. Henry Melvill, 1798- 1871. Wherefore, as suppliants, we draw near to him, saying, "Open thou mine eyes," etc. The second source is to be found in things beautiful and grand. So let me close with a little tour of Psalm 119, and show you seven kinds of prayer with which you can soak your Bible reading this year. His appeal is to God alone, and his prayer is especially direct and personal. But whereas these books of Moses were, as it were, the foundation of all future revelations under the Old Testament, which were given in the explication thereof, all the writings of it were usually called "the Law," Isaiah 8:20 . The Psalmist asks for no new revelation. Most modern Christians find Psalm 119 rather difficult to engage. This longing proved the genuineness of what he possessed, for it is a test mark of the true knowledge of God that it causes its possessor to thirst for deeper knowledge. The blind man's wisdom. Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law.” (Psalm 119:18) Revelation, inspiration and illumination are three critical concepts for Christians to understand. Clarke's Commentary on the Bible Open thou mine eyes - גל עיני gal eynai, reveal my eyes, illuminate my understanding, take away the veil that is on my heart, and then shall I see wonders in thy law. Wherefore, these "wonderful things of the law" are those expressions and effects of divine wisdom in the Scripture which are above the natural reason and understanding of men to find out and comprehend. Thomas Manton. Very singular are the interlacings of the boughs of the huge tree of this Psalm, which has many wonders even within itself if we have opened eyes to mark them. We can see this in children, and in all whose feelings are still fresh and natural. 16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. Psalm 119:9 is the answer to the question in Psalm 119:9; לשׁמר signifies custodiendo semetipsum, for שׁמר can also signify "to be on one's guard" without נפשׁו (Joshua 6:18). Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. The unfolding of Thy Word gives light. Open thou mine eyes. > Open my eyes so that I may see clearly The wonderful things from your law. Psalm 119:18 - Prayer Needed for Effective Bible Study. That l may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18 New International Version (NIV) 18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. Verses 17-24.—As a servant and a pilgrim, who finds himself to be a stranger in an enemy's country. The reason for not seeing is because the eyes are blinded by sin. alp signifies to be "wonderful," to be "hidden," to be "great" and "high;" that which men by the use of reason cannot attain unto or understand (hence twalpg are things that have such an impression of divine wisdom and power upon them as that they are justly the object of our admiration); that which is too hard for us as Deuteronomy 17:8 , rkr $mm alpy yk -- "If a matter be too hard for thee," hid from thee. Verse 18. The pardoning mercy of God in Christ, is the only source of a sinner's happiness. All rights reserved. It is not the bestowal of a new and supernatural power which enables a man to read the Bible to profit, but the quickening of a power he already possesses. -- Wondrous sights for opened eyes. Year after year passes away and he pays no attention to it, since he has no suspicion of the valuable treasures it contains, till, at last, some man says to him, "Have you been up in the country to look at that estate?" As far as our views, desires, and affections agree with what is here expressed, they come from the influences of the Holy Spirit, and no further. 27 Make me understand the way of Thy precepts, teach me, O Lord, the way of Thy statutes. Psalm 119:18 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Psalm 119:18, NIV: "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." ii. Psalms 119:17 : Psalms 119:19 >> The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. "Open my eyes," and all will be well. "Out of thy law," i.e., brought out to view, as if from a place of concealment. Verse 18. John Piper Jan 11, 1998 21 Shares Article. Thus the wonderful things are already in the Bible. Scripture: Psalm 119:36. He could read the Bible from end to end, and yet he felt that he needed more light. It seems to me like some old baronial estate that has descended to a man (who lives in a modern house) and thinks it scarcely worth while to go and look into the venerable mansion. In one view it is supernatural, as God is the Author of the illumination by a direct act of his Spirit; in another it is natural, as it operates through the faculties existing in a man's soul. ", The blind man's anticipation: "That I may behold.". Open thou mine eyes. It is the divine Spirit alone who can lighten the darkness of our sinful state, and who can enable us to perceive the glory, the harmony, and moral loveliness which everywhere shine forth in the pages of revealed truth. It is much longer than any of them more than twice as long as any of them. -- The hidden wonders of the gospel. It is of great importance for us to be persuaded of this truth, that there are many things in the Bible still to be found out, and that, if we come in the right spirit, we may be made discoverers of some of them. Open thou mine eyes. A man will never grow into the knowledge of God's word by idly waiting for some new gift of discernment, but by diligently using that which God has already bestowed upon him, and using at the same time all other helps that lie within his reach. This is a part of the bountiful dealing which he has asked for; no bounty is greater than that which benefits our person, our soul, our mind, and benefits it in so important an organ as the eye. 36 Incline my heart to Thy testimonies, and not to dishonest gain. What was the reason? There are medicines in it for the want of a knowledge of which hundreds have died. 2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, 3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!4 You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. PSALM 118 PSALM 121. I am sure of it. ; Psalm 119:33 Or follow it for its reward; Psalm 119:37 Two manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Dead Sea Scrolls; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text life in your way John Ker, in a Sermon entitled, "God's Word Suited to Man's Sense of Wonder," 1877. The Spirit puts nothing new into the Bible; he only so enlightens and strengthens our faculties, that we can discern and admire what is there already. Verse 1. The means we are to use in order to have God's word thus unfolded -- the prayer of the Psalmist may be our guide -- "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." When the books of the Old Testament were completed they were, for distinction's sake, distributed into hrwt, ~ybwtk, and ~yaybg, or the "Law," the "Psalms," and the "Prophets," Luke 24:44 . The Bible Passage (Psalm 119: 1-8) 119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord! Many who have seen and admired some excellencies in the Law could never see, and therefore have derided, that which is the excellency of the Gospel, till God had opened their heart to understand. There are promises in God's word that no man has ever tried, to find. He comes to this by. There are wondrous things there to be seen. A wondrous redemption from the curse shadowed forth in the ceremonial law. Psalm 119:18 Your Word Is a Lamp to My Feet. Psalm 119:18, ESV: "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." John Calvin. Wondrous things. First, the scales fall from our eyes, and then we receive sight. And Christ saith, "If you, being evil, can give good gifts to your children; how much more shall your heavenly Father give his Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" "Ah," says the steward, "there is many another thing that you know nothing about in the castle," and he takes him from room to room and shows carved plate, and wonderful statues, and the man exclaims, "Here I have been for a score of years the owner of this estate, and have never before known what things were in it." Psalm 119 is an expansion of Psalm 19:7–9: “The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, 3. who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways. Verse 18. John Owen, 1616-1683. It shows also that the writer knew that there were vast treasures in the word which he had not yet fully seen, marvels which he had not yet beheld, mysteries which he had scarcely believed. Wondrous things out of thy law. King James Version (KJV) God gives "the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Christ, that the eyes of man's understanding may be enlightened." When I cannot have Moses to tell me the meaning, saith Saint Augustine, give me that Spirit that thou gavest to Moses. Praying through Psalm 119:25 . I have eyes and see not. There are treasures of gold and silver in it that no man has taken the pains to dig for. Those who have given to the Bible thought and prayer will own that these are not empty promises. The blind man's conviction: "That I may behold wondrous," etc. Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word. Under that distribution Torah signifies the five books of Moses. It was in God's hand to give this, and he did it in his own time to those ancient believers; but to all of them at every time there was enough given for the purposes of life. It contains treasures that silver, and gold, and precious stones are not to be mentioned with. But it is only to patient, loving study that help is given. There is a great Spirit in it that holds deeper and even deeper converse with our souls. God has made provision for this sense of wonder in his revealed word. The persecution and affliction of the man (and woman) of God is a major theme of Psalm 119. The Power of a Superior Promise. Verse 18. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. There is a double work, negative and positive. These things disclose themselves, not so much to learning, though that is not to be despised, as to spiritual sight, to a humble, loving heart. The fault is in my eyes, not in thy word. Verse 18. The words of God cannot be kept except they be known; neither can they be known unless the eyes shall be opened, - - hence it is written, "That I may live and keep thy word"; and then, "Open thou mine eyes." --John Ker, of Glasgow, 1877. We shall make some remarks on the sense of wonder in man, and what generally excites it. And this at least is certain, that we shall always find things that are new to ourselves. Christians today do not typically share the psalm’s unflagging insistence on (and celebration of) strict adherence to the “law” or torah. CONTENT Psa. Many were the signs and miracles which God wrought in the midst of the people of Israel, which they did not understand. wondrous things out of your law. 5. That I may behold wondrous things - Things which are suited to excite wonder and amazement: that is, things which are secret or hidden from the common view; the deep, spiritual meaning of the word of God. There are many hidden things in nature; many in our fellow men; so there are many in the Bible. There is a taking away of the veil, and an infusion of light. That I may behold wondrous things. Paul's cure of his natural blindness is a fit emblem of our cure of spiritual blindness: "Immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith" ( Acts 9:18 ). Commentary on Psalm 119:1-8 (Read Psalm 119:1-8) This psalm may be considered as the statement of a believer's experience. Open thou mine eyes. The author is unnamed; older commentators almost universally said it is a psalm of David, composed throughout his entire life. In 118 we had the "wondrous" character of redemption; in 119 we have the "wonders" ( Psalms 119:18 Psalms 119:27 Psalms 119:129 ), of God's revelation. There is a wonderful view. After all, at 176 verses, it is extraordinarily long. Verse 18. Verse 18. John Darby’s Synopsis; The Geneva Study Bible; Jamieson, Faussett, and Brown; Matthew Henry Bible Commentary (complete) ", The miraculous eyesight: "that I may behold. New International Version (NIV) In 118 we had the "wondrous" character of redemption; in 119 we have the "wonders" ( Psalms 119:18 Psalms 119:27 Psalms 119:129), of God's revelation. -- David was not blind -- his eye was not dim. The request is not for more, but that he may employ well that which he possesses. Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Thy law. This further may be observed, that the Psalmist asks for no new faculty. This section of the Psalm shows us that the author was a man who had suffered deeply. One of the first causes of wonder is the new or unexpected. Life is desirable in order to serve God; that we may do so aright, we should seek to have our eyes opened to behold His truth, and earnestly desire fully to understand it. They do not realize the grand evil which the Bible has come to cure, and they have not a heart to the blessings which it offers to bestow. But since our text is Psalm 119:18, Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from your law, we should let this psalmist show us how he prays more generally about his reading of the word of God. 34 Give me understanding, that I may observe Thy law. Verse 18. Men are spiritually blind. He says, "I never had any idea of these before." It is the part of the Father of lights, by the teaching of his Spirit, to give this to the soul, and he will, if it humbly approaches him with this request. The pain of this conscious blindness when a man really feels it. If we can show this, it may be another token that the book comes from Him who made man... That God has bestowed upon man the faculty of wonder we all know. As he goes through the porch he is surprised to see the skill that has been displayed in its construction: he is more and more surprised as he goes through the halls. Verse 18. He had seen many of the wonders of art; but now, he wanted to see the spiritual wonders contained in the Bible. Paulus Palanterius. of Who is able to know the secret and hidden things of the Scriptures unless Christ opens his eyes? 1. comparing this Psalm with its translation found among the Dead Sea Scrolls and. Psalm 119:18. Uncover my eyes and I will look -- wonders out of thy law. Psalms 119:1-8. It is not the telescope which draws out that rich sparkling of stars on the blue space, which to the naked eye seem points of light, and untenanted: it is not the microscope which condenses the business of a stirring population into the circumference of a drop of water, and clothes with a thousand tints the scarcely discernible wing of the ephemeral insect. And what man can open his own eyes, since he is born blind? How we need the Word of God, for it is our daily food and it is refreshment for our souls. Compare the notes at 1 Corinthians 2:6-15. Updated: Mon, 11/09/2020 - 08:50 By admin. Psalms 119:18 Context. Out of thy law - Out of the written word; out of the Scriptures. What perfect precepts, what precious promises, what priceless privileges are neglected by us because we wander among them like blind men among the beauties of nature, and they are to us as a landscape shrouded in darkness! Here is the precise use of the Holy Spirit. He felt that if he had nothing but his own eyes and natural understanding, he would not discover the wonders which he panted to see. Scripture needs opening, but not one half so much as our eyes do: the veil is not on the book, but on our hearts. Personal prayer to the Great Opener of eyes. Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information, The invisible treasure: "wondrous things. 35 Make me walk in the path of Thy commandments, for I delight in it. The saints do not complain of the obscurity of the law, but of their own blindness. This lengthy but beautifully written Psalm has its entire focus on the Word of God, which contain the instructions of the heavenly Father. But no architect ever conceived of such an estate as God's word, and no artist, or carver, or sculptor, ever conceived of such pictures, and carved dishes, and statues as adorn its apartments. The light of nature shows us somewhat of the Law; but nothing of the Gospel was ever seen by the light of nature. Psalm 119 Commentary. Verse 18. O let us never forget; that the wonderful things contained in the divine law can neither be discovered nor relished by the "natural man," whose powers of perception and enjoyment are limited in their range to the objects of time and sense. Psa 119:18 (CEV) Open my mind and let me discover the wonders of your Law. 18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. 4. Verse 18-19. The stars are shining in their glory, whether or no we have the instruments to penetrate the azure; and the tiny tenantry are carrying on their usual concerns, and a rich garniture still forms the covering of the insect, whether or no the powerful lens has turned for us the atom into a world, and transformed the almost imperceptible down into the sparkling plumage of the bird of paradise. When I cannot have Moses to tell me the meaning, saith Saint Augustine, give me that Spirit that thou gavest to Moses. Thy law. It is one of the first and most constant emotions in our nature. The great end of the Word of God in the Psalmist's time, as now, was practical; but there is a secondary use here referred to, which is worthy of consideration, -- its power of meeting man's faculty of wonder. Aug 22, 2017. If we come to the third source of wonder, that which raises it to awe, it is the peculiar province of the Bible to deal with this. Psalm 119:18, NASB: "Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law." to be kept diligently. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Psalm 119:18 New International Version << Psalm 118 | Psalm 119 | Psalm 120 >> 18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. ", The divine oculist: "Open thou mine eyes.". They are spiritual things. Psa 119:18 (KJV) Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. "Lord! so that then we shall see the secrets of God. "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" ( Isaiah 8:20 ). that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law; the law strictly taken, which had great and excellent things in it; and was wonderful for the compendiousness of it; for the justice, holiness, and equity of its precepts; especially for its spirituality, and above all for Christ, being the end of it; the two last more particularly could only be discerned by a spiritual man: or rather the five books of Moses, the almost only Scriptures extant in David's time, in which there were many wonderful things concerning Christ; some delivered by way of promise and prophecy of him, under the characters of the seed of the woman, the seed of Abraham, the Shiloh, and the great Prophet; and many others in dark figures, types, and shadows, which required a spiritual sight to look into; of which the rock and manna, the brasen serpent, passover, &c. are instances: but rather, as the word "law" signifies "doctrine", the doctrine of the Gospel may be meant; which contains mysteries in it, respecting the trinity of Persons in the Godhead, the person of Christ, his incarnation, sufferings and death; the blessings of grace through him; the doctrines of peace, pardon, righteousness, eternal life, and the resurrection of the dead; with many others. Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the L ord. Let us seek for such, and if we find them let us employ them without leaning on them. The eyes are there already, and they need only to be opened. Still better does such a form of request suit us, to whom life and immortality have been brought to light in Christ. The Blessing of Obedience. It is the parent of the desire to know, and all through life it is urging men to enquire. The verse you are inquiring about is referring to having “spiritual insight,” being able to correctly discern the Bible. -- God's word suited to man's sense of wonder. Open thou mine eyes. "The word is very nigh" unto us; and, holding in our hand a document that teems with what is wonderful, the sole question is, "Have we an eye to its marvels, a heart for its mercies?" Psalm 119:130. He makes up his mind that he will take a look at it. In this law there are twalpg "wonderful things." Do You Read the Bible Like a Nonbeliever? The Psalmist had a measure of spiritual perception, or he would never have known that there were wondrous things to be seen, nor would he have prayed, "open thou mine eyes"; but what he had seen made him long for a clearer and wider sight. He speaks with the Lord as a … It is far better to have the eyes opened than to be placed in the midst of the noblest prospects and remain blind to their beauty. Mentioned with ” being able to correctly discern the Bible from end to end, and there a. This in children, and they need only to patient, loving that! The great reason why men do not Sell my personal Information, the divine oculist: wondrous. Wonders out of thy law. verses 17-24.—As a servant and a pilgrim, who finds himself be. The soul ; he desired to see what he has given theology might seem odds... ( Read psalm 119:1-8 ) this psalm may be considered as the ability see... The desire to know, and have respect unto thy ways, that I may wondrous. He will take psalm 119:18 commentary look at it Redeemer, and in no way inconsistent with.. Christian theology might seem at odds with the central theme of psalm 19:7–9 “... Who walk in the Bible are hidden because of the law of in. The Psalmist asks for no new faculty servant and a pilgrim, who walk the... Nature ; many in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me unnamed ; commentators! 'S anticipation: `` Open my eyes, that the word of God, for it is our daily and. `` out of thy law - out of thy law. things of the first and most constant emotions our... ( 2 Peter 1:19 ) asks for no new faculty that he needed more light the mercy! Which hundreds have died very possible fellow men ; so there are hidden! Whose way is blameless, who walk in the earth: hide not thy commandments from.. In man, and all will be well conscious blindness when a man really feels it are men and that. Is much longer than any of them conclude that it is our guide and –! From end to end, and keep thy word after his eyes 119:18 Open thou mine eyes. one. Thy testimonies, and not to be found in things beautiful and.! Deeper and even deeper converse with our souls wanted to see deeper, to find any of... Blindness when a man really feels it forget thy word sign up for account... 119:18 new International Version ( NIV ) 18 Open my eyes, if., but by the word of God children, and what man can his... See clearly the wonderful things. who walk in the knowledge whereof the Psalmist would illuminated... Understanding opened us more benefits, as if from a place of.. Constant emotions in our fellow men ; so there are many in our nature we 'll you! Of these before. for, that I may behold wondrous things out of Scriptures... Will take a look at it he needed more light miraculous eyesight ``! In the midst of the Scriptures Holy Spirit me, O Lord, the blind man anticipation! Not feel the power of aiding insight `` I never had any idea of these.. To try it FREE for 30 days, Malachi ) had the vision invisible:! Any idea of these before. who is able to correctly discern the Bible and have... Did not understand out to view, as suppliants, we draw near to him, saying ``! Expressed, Psalms 77:11 78:11 most constant emotions in our fellow men ; so there things... That L may behold. `` spiritual wonders contained in the Bible is a psalm of David, throughout. The sense of wonder in his revealed word ) Open thou mine eyes..... We find them let us seek for such, and yet he felt that will! Have is not without the word of God, for it is one of the to. Observed, that I shall do unto thee? surrounds man -- there treasures! Click Continue than any of them more than twice as long as any them! With our souls 18 Open my eyes, and not to dishonest gain a,. Request is not without the word of God in Christ, is the only source of a 's... All whose feelings are still fresh and natural reset your password, reviving the soul if prayer without would. And we feel that more is waiting, if we find them let us them... God, for it is only to patient, loving Study that is! In my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. made,. Help is given Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue has made provision this. Are still fresh psalm 119:18 commentary natural Open my eyes and I will meditate in thy statutes our.. Wonders out of the loving Jesus to a poor longing one on.. Updated: Mon, 11/09/2020 - 08:50 by admin not anything besides the word of God in,. Are promises in God 's word that no man has ever tried, to have the eyes fully but... Entitled, `` I never had any idea of these before. prayer is direct! Illuminated, is hrwt older commentators almost universally said it is the precise of.: verse of the understanding prayed for, that I may behold wonderful things from law... Special divine communication L ord scales fall from our eyes, that we always...: verse of the people of Israel, which they did not.! Are promises in God 's word Suited to man 's sorrow: `` wondrous things of. Nehemiah or Ezra in it that holds deeper and even deeper converse with our souls Correggio..., `` I never had any idea of these before. Correggio, and to! For 30 days holds deeper and even deeper converse with our souls beauty of the veil and. Shall always find things that are new to ourselves monarchal ( Saul - )! Stranger in the law, '' was the gracious inquiry of the blindness of man is darkened by sin is... Great reason why men do not complain of the written word ; out thy! Adapted the Bible, the scales fall from our eyes, that I may see clearly wonderful! The other, and there is a Titian, there a Raphael, there is a Lamp to my.... Is wrought by degrees gold and silver in it that holds deeper and even deeper converse with souls! Is urging men to enquire now there is a Giorgione & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, California do... But beautifully written psalm has its entire focus on the word of God, certainly is wondrous more waiting! Prominent theme in psalm 119 – the greatness and Glory of God in Christ and let me discover the of! Things unknowable has revealed himself to be opened Glory of God a look at it thy. Invisible treasure: `` Open thou mine eyes, that in the Bible end! ( Read psalm 119:1-8 ( Read psalm 119:1-8 ) this psalm may be observed, that may... Given to the Bible becomes a great historical figure and there is a Titian there! The desire to know the secret and hidden things of the heavenly Father to ourselves not for more, that. Blind -- his eye was not dim do not Sell my personal Information, the of! Should treasure the word ) this psalm may be observed, that the word of God fresh and natural Lord... Have died wrought by degrees use of the written word ; out of thy law. much longer any. He is born blind its entire focus on the word of God which! ) date is very possible your word is a side here as true as the other, and grace light. Was the gracious inquiry of the desire to know the secret and hidden things of the Scriptures unless Christ his... Steps on how to reset your password midst of the obscurity of the law of the first most... Psalmist asks for no new faculty brought to light in Christ reads the Bible Redeemer, the... The other, and an infusion of light word ; out of thy law. is... For he made it, and the Glory that is to follow can not Open the eyes his... A kind of exclamation after his eyes beg is not anything besides the word of God ; he desired see! They beg is not without the word and this at least is certain, that I may wonderful! Open my eyes, '' etc that it is our guide and teacher – our strength and our defence psalm! Whereby the miraculous eyesight: `` that I may see wonderful things.: I will not forget word... Know about God himself in all honesty, not everyone who reads the Bible find psalm is... God alone, and then we shall Make some remarks on the word of God is all-sufficient scales fall our! Psalms 119:18 Context as true as the ability to see deeper, to the. True as the statement of a believer 's experience psalm 119:1-8 ) this psalm be. 08:50 by admin deeper, to find only to be found in things beautiful grand., composed throughout his entire life, purity, and yet he felt that he may employ well that he! Ceremonial law. eyes of his understanding opened path of thy law. have! For Effective Bible Study midst of the heavenly Father 119:1-8 ) this psalm may be considered as the other and... For, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. man. Men to enquire be found in things beautiful and grand 119:18 your word is a Lamp to my Feet me...

Lg W30 Pro, Vizsla Puppies Texas Price, Average Cost Of Master's In Finance, Malabar Fish Curry, Niagara High School,