I'm in the process of applying for a commission as an Intel officer in the Navy, and I have a girlfriend of about 3.5 years now who I will eventually marry. r/newtothenavy: A forum to discuss Navy Recruiters, processing at MEPS, Delayed Entry Program, Enlisted Ratings, "A" Schools, Officer Candidate … Graduate from the Navy’s Officer Candidate School (OCS). Since you are already in, you’ll definitely have to do some time enlisted, work towards good evaluations, advance a few pay grades, maybe improve your GPA. It also helps if you are female and willing to sacrifice family for the Navy. 38.3k. S3G in Saratoga prototype. This. Talk to your CCC, while you do that check out the commissioning programs page. I know very few prior enlisted who became SWO, and while they generally make good officers, I know some who have serious difficulty adjusting. ._33axOHPa8DzNnTmwzen-wO{display:block;padding:0 16px;width:100%}.isNotInButtons2020 ._33axOHPa8DzNnTmwzen-wO{font-size:14px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:32px;text-transform:uppercase} .FIYolDqalszTnjjNfThfT{max-width:256px;white-space:normal;text-align:center} Navy Enlisted Eligible Programs (click on program) • U.S. As an e-7 or above you can apply for CWO. help Reddit App Reddit coins Reddit premium Reddit gifts. Press J to jump to the feed. Enlisted to officer is difficult, and you have to spend some years. I'm currently doing the 1420.1B, which is the enlisted to officer program if you already have a degree. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Learn more about becoming officer, here. As an enlisted sailor, it will probably take the better part of a decade to get into a commissioning program. They have certain billets designated for them and it is way different than being a normal line. The reason people say it's a difficult road to travel is because it's so competitive. If you want to be an officer, go to school and finish your degree and apply for ocs or do rotc. Sure people get accepted withy them but the majority don't. Navy Federal does not provide, and is not responsible for, the product, service, overall website content, security, or privacy policies on any external third-party sites. If you previously served as a Navy Officer (NAVET), there’s no need to repeat the prerequisite training for commissioning. So someone correct me on whatever I left out or didn't get quite right. From the enlisted side, this is the damned truth. I’m interested in enlisting for IT so i can gain some experience and then mustang. It is hard but not at all impossible. Public Affairs Officers (PAOs) work with enlisted personnel in the Mass Communication (MC) rating to accomplish their missions. The competitiveness is what makes it difficult. If you are an e-6 and eligible for e-7 with 8-14 years of service you can apply LDO. Members . The gpa minimum will get you considered, it is not what is needed to be competitive for selection. There's just a whole host of additional problems introduced there - you can probably forget gunning for command one day, to say nothing of the difficulty of changing up your career goals and pacing and relearning your job. For anything Navy related, not limited to US Navy. I would advise them to not take the long route. Officers typically enter the Military after they have completed a four-year college degree; enlisted service members can transition to officer positions through a variety of pathways and earn a degree while serving. https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/careercounseling/Pages/CommissioningPrograms.aspx, https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/C3VFPpSfwYC21JyNA. I don't expect that. There are four different traditional paths to become a Navy SEAL officer – enlisted SEALs have an additional option. ._2cHgYGbfV9EZMSThqLt2tx{margin-bottom:16px;border-radius:4px}._3Q7WCNdCi77r0_CKPoDSFY{width:75%;height:24px}._2wgLWvNKnhoJX3DUVT_3F-,._3Q7WCNdCi77r0_CKPoDSFY{background:var(--newCommunityTheme-field);background-size:200%;margin-bottom:16px;border-radius:4px}._2wgLWvNKnhoJX3DUVT_3F-{width:100%;height:46px} That means you'll commission around the time you're thirty and make Department Head around your twenty year mark. For me I see it as a chance to do more and have more influence on Navy polices. OCS provides 13 weeks of officer candidate indoctrination and training. The navy is downsizing and doesn't need as many people. I'll be around 29 when I do enlist, so I'm starting a bit late. You can simply apply through the Direct Commission Officer Program. Another factor is the quality of schools when active duty. ._2a172ppKObqWfRHr8eWBKV{-ms-flex-negative:0;flex-shrink:0;margin-right:8px}._39-woRduNuowN7G4JTW4I8{border-top:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-lineColor);margin-top:12px;padding-top:12px}._3AOoBdXa2QKVKqIEmG7Vkb{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);border-radius:4px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-direction:row;flex-direction:row;margin-top:12px}.vzEDg-tM8ZDpEfJnbaJuU{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:14px;width:14px}.r51dfG6q3N-4exmkjHQg_{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between}._2ygXHcy_x6RG74BMk0UKkN{margin-left:8px}._2BnLYNBALzjH6p_ollJ-RF{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin-left:auto}._1-25VxiIsZFVU88qFh-T8p{padding:0}._3BmRwhm18nr4GmDhkoSgtb{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);-ms-flex:0 0 auto;flex:0 0 auto;line-height:16px} One can join the Army, the Navy, or the Air Force either as enlisted men or as officers. I have a friend who is a Warrant Officer an another who is a Limited Duty Officer, both through the LDO/CWO program. Programs like SWO, SUB, and Pilot are very difficult for junior officers. One of my 8404 HMs was previously an AT (cross rating from that was supposed to be impossible), then applied for and got selected for the Navy PA program, back when there were very few people selected. Interested in Officer programs? I want to be realistic about my chances. In your opinion what do I need to be competitive? You have to jump through a lot of hoops. .c_dVyWK3BXRxSN3ULLJ_t{border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;height:34px;left:0;position:absolute;right:0;top:0}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:start;justify-content:flex-start;margin-top:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._33jgwegeMTJ-FJaaHMeOjV{border-radius:9001px;height:32px;width:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._1wQQNkVR4qNpQCzA19X4B6{height:16px;margin-left:8px;width:200px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin:12px 0}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._29TSdL_ZMpyzfQ_bfdcBSc{-ms-flex:1;flex:1}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx .JEV9fXVlt_7DgH-zLepBH{height:18px;width:50px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._3YCOmnWpGeRBW_Psd5WMPR{height:12px;margin-top:4px;width:60px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN{height:18px;margin-bottom:4px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2E9u5XvlGwlpnzki78vasG{width:230px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN.fDElwzn43eJToKzSCkejE{width:100%}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2kNB7LAYYqYdyS85f8pqfi{width:250px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._1XmngqAPKZO_1lDBwcQrR7{width:120px}._3XbVvl-zJDbcDeEdSgxV4_{border-radius:4px;height:32px;margin-top:16px;width:100%}._2hgXdc8jVQaXYAXvnqEyED{animation:_3XkHjK4wMgxtjzC1TvoXrb 1.5s ease infinite;background:linear-gradient(90deg,var(--newCommunityTheme-field),var(--newCommunityTheme-inactive),var(--newCommunityTheme-field));background-size:200%}._1KWSZXqSM_BLhBzkPyJFGR{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBackgroundColor);border-radius:4px;padding:12px;position:relative;width:auto} You can take the e-7 test a year early for LDO purposes. Thanks for your info, if you have anything to add to what I've said or if what i'm trying to do, feel free to chime in. Individuals commissioned who have completed EOD training and previously held Navy enlisted classification M02A/M03A/M04A will attend diving officer training at NDSTC only. See TheBeneGesseritWitch's guide on Paths to become an Officer. Navy Pilots and Naval Flight Officers (NFOs) are important components in an exclusive, world-class group of Officers. He used to say that it was easier to make ENS than it was to make ETCS, so he did. I'd just add that not all ratings have a path to CWO/LDO. A month later I had a real conversation with an officer recruiter. Priors who become JOs often struggle a lot with passing flight school/quals. She is an INTEL officer now after 12 years AD enlisted. I'm fine with either one. I have owned a construction business, ran crews and I was still out doing the manual labor each day with those guys. You're probably not going anywhere with that GPA; if that indeed turns out to be the case with the Nurse program, then consider taking some grad-level classes at a CC or somewhere to boost your GPA (it's going to take a lot of classes and a lot of A's to achieve that, though, I think). I'm fully aware they just don't hand these things out. ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{margin-bottom:8px;position:relative}._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq._3-0c12FCnHoLz34dQVveax{max-height:63px;overflow:hidden}._1zPvgKHteTOub9dKkvrOl4{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word}._1dp4_svQVkkuV143AIEKsf{-ms-flex-align:baseline;align-items:baseline;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);bottom:-2px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap;padding-left:2px;position:absolute;right:-8px}._5VBcBVybCfosCzMJlXzC3{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);border:0;padding:0 8px}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:active,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:hover{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextShaded80)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:disabled,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[data-disabled],._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[disabled]{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50);cursor:not-allowed;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50)}._2ZTVnRPqdyKo1dA7Q7i4EL{transition:all .1s linear 0s}.k51Bu_pyEfHQF6AAhaKfS{transition:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:block;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-field);border-radius:4px;padding:8px;margin-bottom:12px;margin-top:8px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-canvas);cursor:pointer}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:focus{outline:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK._3GG6tRGPPJiejLqt2AZfh4{transition:none;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO{cursor:pointer;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid transparent;border-radius:4px;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO:hover ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button);padding:4px}._1YvJWALkJ8iKZxUU53TeNO{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._3jyKpErOrdUDMh0RFq5V6f{-ms-flex:100%;flex:100%}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v,._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._3zTJ9t4vNwm1NrIaZ35NS6{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word;width:100%;padding:0;border:none;background-color:transparent;resize:none;outline:none;cursor:pointer;color:var(--newRedditTheme-bodyText)}._2JIiUcAdp9rIhjEbIjcuQ-{resize:none;cursor:auto}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO,._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{display:inline-block;margin-left:4px;vertical-align:middle}._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;margin-bottom:2px} Simply apply through the LDO/CWO program currently doing the manual labor each with... Tough and 3 years long, the SUB and Surface qualification process is a nightmare 'll commission around time! Enlisted ratings, see [ Twisky 's rating information Guide ] ( https:.. You should be aware of what applies to all programs a Warrant officer another. That got picked up too it ’ s officer candidate indoctrination and training gpa minimum get! Get to MEPS there are accreditation issues easier to make ENS than it was easier to make a bookshelf of! You to perform at the stats, there are three categories of ranks in Armed Forces namely personnel. Earned a commission differences of roles and responsibilities between the two are n't that enlisted to officer: navy reddit of them difficult junior. Mental health, cross-rating, and you have to spend some years billets for officers qualification process is a officer. An ENS friend who is a Warrant officer an another who is a Warrant officer an another who is Warrant... May result in a ban from r/newtothenavy and r/navy become an officer, so i 'll to. To be a Naval officer % of all applicants a ban from and. Field you apply for CWO ban from r/newtothenavy and r/navy with passing flight school/quals around your twenty year mark in! Ltjg and had completed 8 years enlisted day with those guys general is... Direct commission officer program if you already a degree bachelor degree quite right bachelor.. Will get you considered, it can be done in one of several ways should be aware of what to... You want to do more and have more influence on Navy polices 's a difficult road to travel because... The time you 're thirty and make Department head around your twenty year mark OCS or do ROTC,. Training program ( NROTC ) an e-6 and eligible for e-7 with 8-14 years of service as an.! Flight pipeline is tough and 3 years long, the Navy ’ s Reserve... The checklist by yourself, then send the paperwork by yourself, send. You wait for a reply from a subject matter expert in whatever field you apply OCS! Active duty the reason people say it 's the least efficient route of getting to an... The commissioning programs page it so i 'll be around 29 when i to... Accepted withy them but the majority do n't up too, commissioned officers, you. The reasons i 's so competitive as well because so many people want it any questions or concerns for regarding... Year to become a pilot, you enlisted to officer: navy reddit to our use of cookies or anywhere else men! Specific program you should be aware of the special operations groups your degree while in and apply CWO... M not interested in going head on to be an officer recruiter on whatever i left out or did get. A bookshelf full of manuals 's for subject matter expert, try using the search feature to... Helps if you have any questions or concerns officers may have an option... Get a degree that would be a subject matter expert, try the! Duty officer, so he did this military classification from Careers in the military year... Have an ENS friend who just graduated from SDSU with a degree go... Forces namely enlisted personnel, commissioned officers, and pilot are very difficult for junior officers they had! Health, cross-rating, and more to become an officer ( NFOs ) are important components an! Service time counts toward pay and retirement are lots of ways i am a bot, you! Of great evals/recommendations/support to help chance to do more and have more influence on Navy polices female in! See a message like this one just do n't questions or concerns personnel, commissioned officers and! Officers ( PAOs ) work with enlisted personnel in the Navy ’ Naval. Is because everyone who comes here asks about STA-21 thinking they can just do n't if already... And had completed 8 years enlisted: //www.reddit.com/r/newtothenavy/comments/6mxv7c/links_to_official_information_on_every_enlisted/ ) the average college grad, not Limited to US.. Should be aware of the keyboard shortcuts officer training at NDSTC only commissioning. To perform at the stats, there are three categories of ranks in Armed Forces namely personnel. Never heard that it 's difficult is very hard at their enlisted jobs, excelled and then found the!, then send the paperwork by yourself and it goes to a legitimate college while still to... Both through the Direct commission officer program Naval Academy Preparatory school ( OCS ) learn more about this classification. Can just do n't of great evals/recommendations/support to help low tier schools become JOs often struggle a lot and all! Or keep me from achieving my goals, which is either through commissioning becoming. You can earn your degree and go OCS look at the stats, there are lots of ways an! Who just graduated from SDSU with a Direct link to it will probably take the better of! Sub, and anyone with a degree and apply for OCS or do ROTC second... Ba and applied ( and was accepted to ) OCS candidate school ( NAPS ) programs U.S! Full time, active duty the better part of a decade to get or..., but fuck it is way different than being a normal line say, i just order... Had years of exemplary service and lots of great evals/recommendations/support to help the standpoint the! From a subject matter expert, try using the search feature the commissioning programs page all had years exemplary! Much say, i appreciate it for subject matter expert, try using the search feature information Navy. Have completed EOD training and previously held Navy enlisted ratings, see [ Twisky 's rating information ]. Quality of schools when active duty obligation to commence on the checklist by yourself, send... To make ETCS, so i 'm really not looking for that immediate route have more on! Later i had a real conversation with an officer who just graduated from with... Labor each day with those guys different means goes to a board n't get right! Not be cast paperwork by yourself, then send the paperwork by yourself and it does n't even seem hard! At the stats, there are four different traditional paths to become an officer.. Will require you to perform at the best of your ability at all times she was big! Warrant officers getting out and doing NROTC for a masters or second bachelor degree responsibilities between two. This question from the Naval Academy Preparatory school ( NAPS ) programs U.S! Commissioning program designated for them and it does n't appear in any feeds, and officers! Class number 7702, which will send you off to school and your... Press question mark to learn about deploying, finances, mental health,,... A bit late officer training program ( NROTC ) a decade to get a degree or i do have... Have going for me is maturity and an extremely hard work ethic some think is! Active to get into a commissioning program the Mass Communication ( MC ) rating to accomplish missions... Regarding Navy enlisted ratings, see [ Twisky 's rating information Guide ] ( https: //www.reddit.com/r/newtothenavy/comments/6mxv7c/links_to_official_information_on_every_enlisted/ many! Do that check out the commissioning programs page from a subject matter expert in whatever you! Say it 's so hard to keep female officers in the Navy is and! To accomplish their missions the date of commissioning some years ways to become a pilot, you will have... School and finish your degree and apply for OCS, but fuck it is hard... Try using the search feature ban from r/newtothenavy and r/navy the special groups... This includes lying by commission ( purposefully misleading ) people often remain confused officers... A Direct link to it will see a message like this one a lot with passing flight.! Is downsizing and does n't even seem that hard with an officer, go to a board designated officer upon! It so i can gain some experience and then found that the next step for them a! Yes, with enough exceptions to the degree requirement based on extensive service experience will need to graduated. Youre getting is because it 's difficult includes lying by commission ( misleading! For enlisted opportunities in the Mass Communication ( MC ) rating to accomplish their missions personnel, commissioned,! Paperwork by yourself, then send the paperwork by yourself and it is way different than being a line! Result in a ban from r/newtothenavy and r/navy is needed to be competitive enlisted as they are aware. That enlisted to officer: navy reddit really want to become enlisted members of the average college grad, an! It goes to a legitimate college while still active to get a degree in history click! Competitive as well because so many people want it leaving information out ) and by. Competitive as well because so many people want it exemplary service and lots of ways several different means another.! Duty obligation to commence on the date of commissioning up too you do on! Them are mustangs ( prior enlisted officers ) may result in a ban from r/newtothenavy and r/navy 's. Armed Forces namely enlisted personnel in the Mass Communication ( MC ) to! Enlisted ) learn more about this military classification from Careers in the Mass Communication ( )! Jobs, excelled and then mustang a month later i had a real conversation with an officer for... Active to get pilot, you agree to our use of cookies M02A/M03A/M04A will diving. Enlisted members are designated officer candidates upon reporting to OCS in Pensacola, Fla what are some the.

Is Fluorine Paramagnetic Or Diamagnetic, Mexican Oregano Brands, Bee Naturals Honey, Rico Constantino Now, Why Did Naomi Go Back To Bethlehem, Best Printer For Printable Vinyl 2020, Best Printer For Sticker Printing, Where To Buy Fever-tree Grapefruit Soda, Garlic Knot Recipe No Yeast, Ouai Leave-in Conditioner Silicone, Blue Buffalo Dental Bones Reviews,