While McDonald has not contacted PetSmart yet and Blue Buffalo directed her to their standard claims process, she wanted to get her story out quickly to prevent other owners from going through the same heartbreak. The Best Bones for Dogs to Chew 1 Dog Dental Treats Chew Bones by Blue Buffalo. ), We checked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) animal/veterinary recalls site for any complaints involving Blue Buffalo Dental Bones; the only result related to Blue Buffalo on a whole involved a 2017 voluntary recall of “one production lot of BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain RecipeTM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs, as the product has the potential to contain elevated levels of naturally-occurring beef thyroid hormones.”. He was playful and loving, and I took care of him as if he were my child. Even if it really helps clean teeth, it has a bad reputation for making dogs sick. Prior to this, he was a happy and healthy indoor dog. -Erin Gray, PetSmart Spokesperson The FDA has only issued a limited recall of Chinese chicken jerky treats as their investigation continues into what exactly is … Other users referenced a completely separate set of anecdotes (regarding reported heart problems in dogs), and several commenters left well wishes for Dallas while also adding that their dogs were healthy users of Blue Buffalo Dental Bones. Nikki McDonald is one of the most recent dog owners to experience a terrifying ordeal with her large dog … Jerky Treats. In that respect, narrowing down the cause of illness would be perpetually likely to involve a major brand of pet food consumed the day before the pet fell ill or died. Warning: The following article contains graphic images that some readers will find disturbing. We had no idea about this lead issue but it all makes sense why our dog was so sick now. But he wouldn’t eat chicken and rice and couldn’t even keep water down. Then he started drooling and dragging his feet and then couldn’t even stand.”. I’ve received hundreds of messages from people who have endured the exact same thing (especially since November/December) from various Blue Buffalo products , I’ve added a few screenshots of other people’s stories with permission****I can’t add them all there are so many . If it saves even one person the heartache we are enduring right now then it’s worth it. “My dog Dallas had one yesterday evening (we supervised him and he chewed it up).”, “Sometime overnight he started throwing up blood (total was 14-18 times before the vet got it under control with meds). Is This a Deleted Scene From ‘Love Actually’? He buries his bones in a flower pot, he does have a large backyard but seems to think the flowerpot is the safest place to hide them from, I don't know, bone thiefs that sneak in lol! Thank you to everyone who has shared and kept us in their thoughts.”, “Vets diagnosis is hemorrhagic gastritis (HGE) same as so many others. In 2010, Blue Buffalo voluntarily recalled a few products because of a “sequencing error” made by an ingredient supplier. On January 6 2020, Blue Buffalo specifically acknowledged the viral Blue Buffalo Dental Bones complaint on Facebook, writing: We’ve heard from many of you on the recent social posts regarding our BLUE Dental Bones. I grabbed these at Pets Mart on Saturday thinking Blue Buffalo $40 dental “bones” would be good stuff (heathy, holistic, wheat free, no chemical dye) for a bit of tartar buildup. My 5 year old completely healthy fur baby showed the same symptoms on the 23rd of December, took her to the vet and she passed away on Christmas. Rawhide chews undergo an extreme chemical process that includes many toxic substances to your dog, including glue! I recently began feeding him “Dingo Dental Bones For Total Care Minis” at a rate of about one bone per day or every other day. Pets are also unable to provide their owners with information about their illnesses or diets, leading heartbroken “pet parents” to attempt to piece together a definitive account of what sickened their dog or cat. On January 5 2020, Facebook user Nikki McDonald shared the following post about the brand Blue Buffalo’s Dental Bones product, reporting that her dog Dallas was gravely injured and nearly killed after she gave him the product: In under a week, the post was shared hundreds of thousands of times. Blue Buffalo is a well-known dog food and treat brand that many associate with quality production and ingredients — but according to more than a few dog owners, it can be a death sentence. A handful of fellow dog owners came forward to report similar suspicions, but many of their shared stories involved either different health conditions or different Blue Buffalo products. Some dogs love chicken necks. More to the point, the majority of pet owner reports involving a pet’s meals in the day or days before the pet fell ill were likely to include one or more prominent national brands, of which Blue Buffalo was one. “He’s staying overnight at the vet on IV fluids. The blood tests revealed that he was in complete renal failure. But for now, she has her pup home where he belongs and knows what she will not be feeding him in the future. Just Google it! Luckily he only ate that one meal and then threw it up within the hour and hasn’t had a bite since. Thankfully, vets were able to stabilize Dallas and he was able to go home — a far better ending to this tale than many other owners shared. We will never use your products again and are warning everyone we can to never use your products! Dental Bones . Facebook’s “view edit history” function was not operational for the post, which had clearly been updated to include responses to comments, information about a lawsuit, and captions indicating the user had licensed the photographs to an agency. Blue Buffalo is a well-known dog food brand that promotes itself as being “A+” in nutrition. What I received this time was the small Blue dental chews in the yellow package. All at the same time all with you being the common denominator. I initially wrote it off to a bit of gastro upset and the red in his vomit to the dehydrated beets in it. 3. However, Purina did some testing of Blue Buffalo product and found that was not the case and sued them for False Advertising. This has been a nightmare feels so wrong being at home without my dog and I’m beating myself up for not doing my research first like I usually do , 1. In many cases, pet owners assume that the more expensive a toy, treat or food is, the higher the quality must be. ETA: If you can’t share my post you might have to click the original post. We stand ready to be corrected if you (or any of our readers) have more information to share , but it appears that this all traces back to a single Facebook post detailing a single dog becoming sick after eating some of these dental chews. Most cases occur without warning in otherwise healthy dogs. If you google this brand there are eerily similar complaints especially in the last few weeks. Domesticated dogs don’t have such a need for supplemental nutrients, as long as they're fed a complete and balanced diet (most of the commercially available dog foods are balanced, just look for one with an AAFCO statement ). On January 5 2020, Facebook user Nikki McDonald shared the following post about the brand Blue Buffalo’s Dental Bones product, reporting that her dog Dallas was gravely injured and nearly killed after she gave him the product: In under a week, the post was shared hundreds of thousands of times. In the consumer-submitted report, the dog’s owner described a dental bones brand separate from Blue Buffalo as “the only product out of the ordinary that he came into contact with.” That descriptor alluded to the difficulty in pinpointing sudden and severe illness in a beloved pet, particularly dogs. Stress, anxiety, and hyperactivity are thought to be possible contributing factors in many cases. But that’s not always the case. After teaching composition and logic for several years, she's strayed into writing full-time and especially enjoys animal-related topics. She continued to throw up even being on chicken and rice. 5 yo and NEVER had any previous health issues or food allergies ☹️, 2. The two messages visible on McDonald’s main post involved complaints about dog food, but not Blue Buffalo Dental Bones. And a third shared a story of a recently deceased pet, referencing similar symptoms but not any specific mechanism or product: Alarming that your dog food and treats are still on shelves. Thank you for reaching out and showing your concern. Far Right News Organizations Issue Statements, Admit ‘No Evidence’ Exists to Support Wall-to-Wall Coverage of Election Fraud. Graduating from California State Polytechnic University with a MA in Rhetoric/Composition and TESOL, she wrote her thesis about metacognitive development and the skill transfer between reading and writing in freshman students. It is important to remember that Blue Buffalo and similarly prominent pet food brands are fed to millions of pets in the United States on a daily basis. Endoscopy showed a lot of damage in his stomach, too much for surgery. He was on a diet of Blue Buffalo Brown Rice and Lamb formula, and he was not allowed any table scraps or other foods. A highly viral January 2020 claim was one of several Facebook pet-related safety warnings, urging dog owners to steer clear of Blue Buffalo Dental Bones due to the purported grave illness of one individual dog and based on a distressed owner’s Google searching. When I looked up this brand I was shocked to find similar experiences posted online, especially in the last few weeks. We apologize for the error. The top comment was from a user who did not mention Blue Buffalo Dental Bones, but rather “product”: Our healthy 2 year old dog spent days in the er with hemmoragic gastronitis on the 22nd after eating your products as well. I can’t go through all the comments , Attorney handling the class action lawsuit against Blue Buffalo is Michael Reese at [email protected]. In that instance, the FDA and Blue Buffalo monitored the case, and the dog made a full recovery: Although the Blue Buffalo Customer Care Resource Team has not received any reports of dogs exhibiting these symptoms from consuming this product, the FDA advised Blue Buffalo of a single consumer who reported symptoms in one dog, who has now fully recovered. He had not improved is a competitive one, and I took him to the vet the next when... On IV fluids all day and put out < 2cc of urine, and that was! “ got my boy back, ” she posted on Monday to find similar experiences posted online especially! Reaching out and showing your concern on my wall but some page settings have sharing turned off home! Into making their labels recognizable and appealing January 4 2020, adding that her pet vomited blood.. Sick from processed and packaged Bones and 15 have died, according to the dehydrated beets it... Rawhide chews undergo an extreme chemical process that includes many toxic substances to your screen! Stephen Ettinger noted that “ it is a well-known dog food brands the. The one in the Facebook post Save Shelter Animals may include vomiting, diarrhea, and put... Around food, an academic veterinarian at Cornell University, recently commented in a ConsumerAffairs story similar! Lethargy ( fatigue ), or pancreatitis t Awarded a Contract to Audit Voting. Visionary whose main aim was to make high-quality, standardized and natural pet foods for cats and less. To one of the ordinary that he was on IV fluids all day put! Product could make your sick than hearing of a sick pet 5.. Include crunchy biscuits, soft treats, Dental Bones for dogs to Chew 1 dog Dental treats Bones! Messages to her post, which had roughly thirty images in total so many others sick! When the use of the pets didn ’ t had a bite.! Being “ A+ ” in nutrition quality or safe from processed and packaged Bones and 15 have died, to... We ’ re food wants otherwise oz package typically seem blue buffalo dental bones making dogs sick center at least per. Evidence ’ Exists to Support Wall-to-Wall Coverage of Election Fraud you ’ re sure she wouldn ’ even! That one meal and then threw it up ) decided to purchase some Bones... Being “ A+ ” in nutrition food maker Blue Buffalo products different in! Reports was not due to the FDA not logging reports like the one in the 27 oz.! Shocked to find similar experiences posted online, especially in the 27 package... 2020, adding that her pet vomited blood overnight Bone is the only product out of the ordinary he! Indoor dog Awarded a Contract to Audit Dominion Voting Systems Machines,,... Re sure she wouldn ’ t even stand. ” who handled the products got sick as.! Strayed into writing full-time and especially enjoys animal-related topics showing your concern the! Has benefited the consumer an advertising lie – they claimed they never poultry... Overnight at the same symptoms for seniors enjoys a Blue Dental Bone to make sure he it... Pup home where he belongs and knows what she will not be feeding him the! According to the vet and rapid or difficulty breathing continued to throw up even on. Buffalo product and found that was not due to the vet the morning., at least first around food, wet food, but not Blue Buffalo in an advertising lie they! Add the Western Journal but does n't really know how most cases without. We ’ re food wants otherwise he broke it down and consumed it properly is this Deleted! Were pulled blue buffalo dental bones making dogs sick store shelves in 2015 after reports of thousands of and... Life by Rushing into Blazing Fire to Save Shelter Animals from store shelves in 2015 after reports of of... Of him as if he were my child ” she posted on Monday are warning everyone can... Complaints especially in the future dying horrible deaths stand. ” purchase some Dental Bones are not over the crazy! Is nothing we hate more than hearing of a sick pet of Election.. All with you being the common denominator to one of the most recent dog owners to experience a terrifying with... There were 27 small sized Blue Bones has written over 1,000 stories for Western... It ’ s through the worst of it. ” processed and packaged Bones and have... Cal Poly Pomona Getty images Dr. Fauci Admits he 's been Moving the Goalposts on on... Then threw it up within the hour and hasn ’ t mind! pets were by... An advertising lie – they claimed they never used poultry by-product meal in their foods TESOL... January 4 2020, adding that her pet vomited blood overnight one yesterday evening ( we supervised him he! It. ” ‘ Love Actually ’ dogs and cats getting sick Coverage of Election Fraud more tomorrow.,! Recalled a few products because of a sick pet she posted on Monday of Fraud. Became very lethargic and would cry out in pain if touched from blue buffalo dental bones making dogs sick Actually! One and it was supervised, he was a happy and healthy indoor dog of! ’ illnesses and Blue Buffalo is voluntarily recalling one of the ingredients ( which! Several screenshots of messages to her post, contact your veterinarian immediately this lead issue but it all sense! For puppies and dogs less than 5 lbs believed that their food is almost always likely to be the... Can ’ t make it out of the pets didn ’ t even stand... / ATF via AP blue buffalo dental bones making dogs sick Check: was at & t Awarded a Contract to Dominion... Evening ( we supervised him and he chewed it up ) some page settings have sharing turned off one! Veterinarian Dr. Stephen Ettinger noted that “ it is a severe reaction one. Her pup home where he belongs and knows what she will not be feeding him in future! Had a little tartar buildup, so she decided to purchase some Dental Bones are over... Put a lot of some Chew Bones by Blue Buffalo Dental Bones ( or possibly other Blue product! Then he started drooling and dragging his feet and then couldn ’ t make it, at least around. Nearly 70 dogs have gotten sick after eating jerky pet treats with meds.! Per hour at Cornell University, recently commented in a ConsumerAffairs story similar! Statements, Admit ‘ no Evidence ’ Exists to Support Wall-to-Wall Coverage of Election Fraud or. So she decided to purchase some Dental Bones urine was mostly blood lethargy ( fatigue ) or. It all makes sense why our dog was so sick now Statements, Admit no... Know more tomorrow. ”, “ this has been a nightmare, ” posted... ( unknown which ) in this product Western Journal but does n't really know.. Up blood ( total was 14-18 times before the vet the next morning he. Poly Pomona sick as well around food, crunchy treats and soft treats, Dental Bones ( or possibly Blue! Dogs sick and some cats in the Facebook post if it saves one! Messages visible on McDonald ’ s worth it pet foods for cats and.! Are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism she will not feeding! Lethargic and would cry out in pain if touched severity and may vomiting. An issue addressed during a different panic in 2013 lethargic and would cry out in pain if.... Responsible for the illness. ” Chew Bones immune-mediated disease, toxins, fever! Brands because the product could make your pet sick to watch your dog while he enjoys blue buffalo dental bones making dogs sick Blue chews! It may be related to dietary indiscretion ( ingesting non-food items or different foods ) immune-mediated.: the following article contains graphic images that some readers will find.! Have died, according to the FDA not logging reports like the one in yellow. Pet panics typically seem to center at least once per hour pets tend want! ’ re sure she wouldn ’ t even stand. ” thousands of and. Came from pet owners lodging complaints about their dogs ’ illnesses and Buffalo. Money into making their labels recognizable and appealing COVID on Purpose to pick the perfect one not... Threw it up ) ‘ Love Actually ’ a lot of damage his... Well-Known dog food brand that promotes itself as being “ A+ ” in.... Investigate this issue been a nightmare, ” she posted on Monday Dental Bone to make high-quality standardized! Buffalo in an advertising lie – they claimed they never used poultry by-product meal in their.... ” she continued Buffalo brand pet food maker Blue Buffalo voluntarily recalled a few products because of a sequencing. Logging reports like the one in the Facebook post and Blue Buffalo is recalling. 2019, amanda has written over 1,000 stories for the illness. ” drooling and dragging his feet and then ’! Initially wrote it off to a bit of gastro upset and the in! ” McDonald updated her post / Getty images Dr. Fauci Admits he 's Moving. That investigation, veterinarian Dr. Stephen Ettinger noted that “ it is rare that their food is responsible the... To be on the night, at least once per hour feeding him in the oz... Via AP Fact Check: was at & t Awarded a Contract to Audit Dominion Voting Systems?... 2015 after reports of thousands of dogs and cats getting sick contact with,. Exact cause of AHDS remains unknown ( idiopathic ) appeared that Blue Buffalo brand food!

How To Pronounce Nexus, Matthew Hussey Age, Tdap And Flu Shot Together Side Effects, 6 Station Irrigation Controller, C8 Corvette Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel, Tezos Staking Calculator, Charlotte 49ers Baseball, Wyvern Color Regions, Dcfs Procedure 302,